Forums

ForumForumMainstream Foru...Mainstream Foru...Best PracticesBest PracticesBest Practice for Relationships between Account, Projects, and all historical entities.Best Practice for Relationships between Account, Projects, and all historical entities.
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post
 9/27/2013 10:19 AM

I sometimes get confused as to where best to create entities for an account. We can relate projects, notes, tasks, emails back to an account or to a specific project for that account. For the best user experience in terms of seeing an entire history for an account I am not quite sure how I should make these relationships. Users tend to gravitate towards the Account screen hoping to view all historical entities but they often miss the fact that much of the information may be hidden in one or more projects related to that account.

For a typical account we have one or more projects representing the actual work (job type) that we perform for that account (we are a printer). Where it gets a bit grey is if a customer calls in or sends an email that we want to import and archive. My thoughts are that if the historical entity is not related to a specific job (project) then it should be related directly to the account. This however creates an issue with the way the information is presented on the Account UI. You can see the related projects but you cannot see the entities below each project (hierarchical). Is projects really the way to go or is there a better entity to represent this.

Also - what is the difference between a Task and a Project Task. Are Project Tasks only to be related with Projects and Tasks can be related to anything outside a project? SpendidCRM does not seem to care so I suppose it is procedural.

Thanks in advance.
New Post
 9/29/2013 12:12 PM

That is a difficult question to answer because it all depends on your business and on whether one approach or another will increase or decrease the productivity of your users.  Some of our CRM customers prefer the separation of data.  Some of our customers perfer to have all data combined.  Some customers want both the separated data and teh combined data.  From your description, it sounds like you want the account to roll-up the activities of related records.  This roll-up can be done but it would require that you customize the vwACCOUNTS_ACTIVITIES view to include related projects.  The downside to rolling up data is that there is more CPU processing and therefore has an impact on performance.  You will need to weigh the performance impact against the productivity increase.

As for Task and Project Task, you are right in that a Project Task is intended to be related to a Project.  The stand-alone Task is intended to be an activity, similar to a call or a meeting.

Previous Previous

Next Next
ForumForumMainstream Foru...Mainstream Foru...Best PracticesBest PracticesBest Practice for Relationships between Account, Projects, and all historical entities.Best Practice for Relationships between Account, Projects, and all historical entities.